Posted By cdoelle on December 8, 2012
With cold temperatures forecast for Monday, now is the time to prepare to protect your home and to pay attention to weather reports. Freezing temperatures are forecast to arrive Sunday night, bringing the coldest air so far this autumn.
Residents should take precautions to protect people, pets, plants and pipes.
- Make sure children are dressed appropriately for the cold weather
- Have safe heating equipment available inside
- Check smoke detectors
- Winterize your windows and doors with caulking and weather stripping
- Make sure pets have adequate shelter and warmth, food and water
- Cover vulnerable outdoor plants or move them indoors
- Wrap outdoor pipes in newspapers or insulation and cover with plastic
- Let faucets drip a little to avoid freezing